Resources in Minnesota for patients and families
Help and Healing provides quality information and resources to help people and their health care providers identify, treat and manage depression. The main goals of Help and Healing are to:
- Describe depression signs and symptoms
- Explain the importance of quality treatment plans to recover from depression faster
- Encourage evidence-based strategies to manage symptoms
- Connect people to depression information and resources
- Prepare clinics to better support depression care
This section of Help and Healing has a list of resources that may be useful for you or your family member. Our goal is to provide easy access to a list of resources and information that will help you seek out exactly what you or your family member needs to recover from depression.
- Depression fact sheet (5 pages)
- The Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9) (1 page)
- What is electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)? (3 pages)
- How to prepare for your health care appointment (2 pages)
- A Roadmap to Wellness (32 pages)
- Healthy eating (2 pages)
- Keeping active (2 pages)
- Meditation and mindfulness (2 pages)
- Help with sleep problems (11 pages)
- Depression health tracker (2 pages)
- My depression treatment plan (1 page)
- Preventing the return of symptoms (1 page)
- Depression resources for patients and families (4 pages)
- Authentic Happiness
Authentic Happiness is the homepage of Dr. Martin Seligman, Director of the Positive Psychology Center at the University of Pennsylvania and founder of positive psychology, a branch of psychology that focuses on the empirical study of such things as positive emotions, strengths-based character, and healthy institutions. This website has more than 2 million users from around the world, and you are welcome to use all of the resources available, free of charge.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Advocacy, links to Minnesota chapter support groups.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCAM)
The resource, “Meditation: An Introduction”, introduces readers to meditation and suggests resources for more information.
- Postpartum Support International
Provides information on postpartum depression for providers of care as well as patients/consumers interested in learning more about depression after having a baby. Includes an expanded section for dads.
- SAVE (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education)
The mission of SAVE is to prevent suicide through public awareness and education, reduce stigma and serve as a resource to those touched by suicide.
- Veterans Crisis Line
The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text.
- Veterans Addiction Resources
Addiction Resources: Veterans and Military Members
Information and links to on a wide range of addiction-related resources for veterans and members of the military.
Legal and advocacy
- Mental Health Consumer Survivor Network of Minnesota (CSN)
Offers self-help tools, training, and education for consumers. CSN believes in a mental health system focused on wellness and recovery.
- MN Attorney General’s Office of Healthcare - Private Insurance Complaints
Minnesota health care consumers can use the form below to file a complaint with the Attorney General’s office if they have had a problem or dispute with a private insurance issue.
- MN Department of Health Office of Mental Health Practice
This office investigates complaints against unlicensed mental health practitioners in Minnesota.
- MN Department of Human Rights
This state agency investigates charges of illegal discrimination; the website also includes information about your rights under the state Human Rights Act.
- MN Office of Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities
This state office receives complaints and comments about services; it also provides information about the civil commitment process.
community-based services and supports
- MN Department of Human Services
Contains information about various types of community-based and residential treatment services; includes links to county mental health staff, information on mental health programs, and services for adults in Minnesota.
- MN Health Care Programs Provider Directory
Click on Mental Health, and use the sub-category list to find the service you need.
- Minnesota Help Info
Search engine used to help find local community services and supports.
- MN Department of Employment and Economic Development
Extended employment services offer support to individuals with disabilities who have difficulty finding and maintaining jobs independently.
- The Partnership for Workplace Mental Health
Provides Employer Innovations Online that helps employers take action to address mental health at the workplace, by providing case examples of successful corporate approaches.
- What to Do When Someone You Love is Depressed – Mitch Golant
- How You Can Survive When They're Depressed – Anne Sheffield
- The Noonday Demon – Andrew Solomon
- Out of the Darkened Room: When a Parent is Depressed – William Beardslee
- The Depression Workbook – Mary Ellen Copeland
- On The Edge of Darkness – Kathy Cronkite
- Getting it Done When You’re Depressed – Julie A. Fast and John D. Preston